Chung Hua University, CHU, International and Cross-Strait Affairs, International Office

View count: 1023


To register at Chung Hua University


Please go to International office in Room I211, Building of Innovation, and the staff will assist you with the process.


2.Date and Time:

18 th -20th February, 2019 From 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

3.Documents required: 

Please submit the following documents when registering at international office:
  1. Passport 
  2. Student Resident VISA and a copy 
  3. Original highest Educational Diploma with notarized by local Taiwan Representative Office, and a copy.
  1. Original highest educational translation academic records with notarized by local Taiwan Representative Office, and a copy
  1. Four photos (if you have provided to International Officeplease ignore.) 
  2. A certificate of Medical Health insurance. (If you do not have it, you will be joined to
the insurance program in Taiwan, it costs NTD3,600 for 6 months and pay when registering at International Office.)
  1. English and Chinese Language Certificate (if have)
  2. Scholarship Application form.     
  3. Emergency Authorization Agreement  

4.Tuition Fee 

Please go to the following link for more information about tuition fee. (The fees for
2018/19 are the same as 2017/18) 
  1. Payment: 
  1. To transfer your payment to CHU in USD:
Swift Code: UWCBTWTP
Account Number: 040080003899 Beneficiary: CHUNG HUA UNIVERSITY
  1. To transfer your payment to CHU in NTD: 
(New Taiwan Dollar Bank Transfer Details)
銀行國泰世華銀行新竹分行帳號: 040-03-6001099
  1. To pay your tuition in NTD by cash 
Please go to the cashier section directly, which on the fourth floor of the administration building.


6.English Classification test: 

Every CHU bachelor degree student will join the English courses after being classified by English test. When registered at International Office, we will direct you to the Language Center, and they will assist you with enrolling to the English test or to waive the English credits by official English Certificate when meet the requirement.

III.Financial Aid Program 

1.New Students:

In the first semester, we provide NTD20,000 scholarship to new international students. Student who pass Mandarin Test TOCFL level 2, the equal amount to the total tuition and miscellaneous fees will be provided instead of NTD20,000 for the first semester (The total tuition and miscellaneous fees are approximately NTD50,000). For the Master and Ph.D. degree students, who can provide English certificate with pass TOEIC 550 or above instead of providing Mandarin Test certificate.
Please download the application form:

2.Present Students

Students should apply for the scholarship in every semester, and CHU will evaluate if the students are qualified to get the scholarship. Applicants need to meet both requirements shown as below to get the scholarship equal to the amount of tuition and miscellaneous fees and to re-apply in each semester:
  1. Achieve academic grade average of 80 points or above from the previous semester and ranking should be in the top 20% in the class that student belong to and is certified with continuous progress in Chinese proficiency capability, financial aid equivalent to the tuition and fees will be offered continuously.
  2. Mandarin ability should be improved.


  1. On-Campus Dorm     

1.Male Dorm

The cost of on-campus Male dorm (6 beds share room) is NT$10600 per person per semester (included the winter vacation.)

2.Female Dorm

The cost of on-campus Female dorm (4 beds share room) is NT$15,600 per person per semester (included the winter vacation.)

If you would like to reserve a place in on-campus dorm, please download the application form at the following link and email the application form to
  1. Airport Pick Up Service     
We provide all new international students free airport pick-up service. Please arrive to Taiwan between 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. on the 12nd and 18th of September, will be better for us to arrange. Please download the application form at the following link and email the application form to

  1. Getting to Know CHU     
  1. CHU Facilities: 
1)CHU Library 
CHU Library is one of the most comprehensive university libraries in Taiwan. It has wireless networks, spacious study carrels, a vast multi-media section, and a 24 hour student study area. Currently, the university library stocks more than 260,473 volumes, 11493 Audio-visual materials, 38,083 electronic books, 878 electronic journals and 132,997 E-Books.
  1. Fitness Center  
Chung Hua University places a strong emphasis on sports and athletic activities, and provides students with world class facilities. Many of these facilities are located within Gymnasium, as well as a comprehensive weights room, aerobics and dance studios.
  1. Natatorium 
CHU Natatorium is a modern, stylishly designed swimming complex that conforms to the highest specifications for swimming facilities of its kind. It boasts a bright interior, a 50m swimming pool, indoor warm and a host of professional swimming instructors and lifeguards.
  1. Arts Center 
Arts Center was established in 2000. CHU hopes to enhance students’ appreciation of art, music, and Chinese calligraphy.
  1. CHU Administrative Departments         
1)Office of International and Cross-Strait Affairs 
The International Office, as it’s commonly called, helps foreign students with all aspects of their life at Chung Hua University. It assists students in applying for scholarships and organizing accommodation; it offers counseling services, and plans orientation events for international and exchange students. It is also in charge of welcoming visitors and scholars to the CHU, as well as co-operating with overseas universities.
Location: 2nd floor of Research and Development Building (I211)
Tel: (03) 5186338, 5186176

2)Office of Academic Affairs 
As a foreign student, you will be in frequent contact with the Office of Academic Affairs. You will use their services when enrolling to study at CHU, applying for transcripts or certificates, and applying to defer or discontinue studies. The Office of Academic Affairs consists of three separate sections or divisions. You will deal mostly with the ‘Registration Section’.
Location: 4th Floor, Administration Building Tel: (03)5186206

3)Office of Student Affairs 
The Office of Student Affairs is responsible for processing students’ requests for helping students apply for insurance, and dealing with all matters related to student associations. It also provides student counseling services and organizes on-campus
student housing. The ‘Student Office’ is divided into separate 4 sections. Foreign students will deal mainly with the Guidance Section.
Location: 3rd Floor, Administration Building Tel: (03) 5186162, 5186152

4)Office of General Affairs 
The Office of General Affairs is responsible for overall campus planning and management of administrative affairs. One of its subsidiary bodies is the Cashier’s Section, where foreign students commonly contact with them to pay tuition fees. Location: 4th Floor, Administration Building
Tel: (03)5186307, 5186306

5)Office of Computer Centre
Students with enquiries regarding student emails or on-campus internet usage should head to the Internet Management Section of the Office of Information Services located on the 2nd floor of Administration Building. Please remember to take your student ID card with you. Tel: (03) 5186245


VII.Studying at CHU

  1. Class Times 
At CHUthe duration of each class is 50 minutes, and each class counts for one credit point. Class times are denoted using a sequence of numbers. For example, Period One refers to classes held from 8:30 am to 9:20 am. The table below displays each number and its corresponding class times.
Period No.
Class Time
Period No.
Class Time
Period 1     08:30 – 09:20 Period 6     14:10 – 15:00
Period 2     09:25 – 10:15 Period 7     15:10 – 16:00
Period 3     10:25– 11:15 Period 8     16:10 – 17:00
Period 4   11:20– 12:10 Period 9     17:05 – 17:55
Period 5     13:10 – 14:00    
  1. Student Email 
As soon as you receive your student number, you can begin to access into your student email account. Your student email address will display as a following sample, studentno@ So, if your student number is “498123456”, your student email will be The password is the last six digits of your passport number.

3.Course Selection    

You can discuss the course selection with your department office. Your academic department will help you select all the class. Please note that every student should attend the Chinese reading and writing class within 4 years; however, the credit could be transferred by mandarin program. In order to improve your mandarin ability, we strongly recommend all the international students to attend the mandarin program in the first year.

  1. Academic Leave       
  1. Come to the Office of International and Cross-strait Affairs to take the application form of leaving school.
  2. Complete the form and write the reason for your request of leaving.
  3. Take the form to your academic department and other related departments for approval.

VIII.Student Complaints system

If you meet any situation that you are not satisfied with in CHU, please go on the following link. The related University units will assist you to solve the problems:



IX.Visa and Alien Resident Certificate

1.Changing Your Visa Status (For degree students)Visitor Visa → Resident Visa

(If you were issued a Resident Visa in your home country, you can skip directly to 2). Let’s assume you entered Taiwan on a Visitor Visa. To make this change, go to the Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA).
Required Documents and Fees for application:
  1. Application form
  2. Passport, valid for at least 6 months (original and photocopy) (3)CHU Letter of Acceptance (original and photocopy)
  1. Student ID card (original and photocopy, stamped by CHU Registration Section)
  2. Health certificate issued in the last three months: If you take the medical tests before coming to Taiwan, the certificate must be stamped and verified by a Taipei Representative Office in your home country; or, if in Taiwan, you must take the medical examination at a designated hospital
  3. Two 2-inch color photos with white background taken in the last 6 months
  4. Application fee: NT $3,000 (NT $5,600 for holders of American passports)
  5. Processing time: 7-10 working days
Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA) Taipei Headquarters Address: 3~5 Fl., 2-2 Chi-Nan Rd., Sec. 1, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC TEL: (02) 2343-2888

2.Resident Visa → Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

Please pay attention to make this change at the National Immigration Agency
within 15 days after receiving your Resident Visa!
1) Required Documents and Fees:
  1. ARC Application form
  2. One 2-inch, half-length color photo with white background, the applicant must not be wearing a hat.
  3. Passport and visa (original and photocopy)
  4. Student ID card or Proof of Enrollment certificate (original and photocopy)
  5. Application fee: NT $1,000 (one year)
  6. Processing time: 10 working days
2)National Immigration Agency
Hsin Chu City Immigration Station
No. 12, Section 3, Zhong Hua Road, Hsinchu City, 300

3.To extend Your Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

1) Required Documents and Fees:
  1. Application form
  2. Passport and ARC (original and photocopy)
  3. Student ID card (original and photocopy)
  4. Application fee: NT $1,000 (one year)
  5. Processing time: 10 working days
2)Please make sure to apply for the visa extension at least two weeks before your ARC expires. Late applicants will be subject to heavy fines and may have to leave Taiwan to apply for a new visa.
  1. Insurance
  1. Student Insurance
Student accident insurance is around NT $3600 for one semester. Once covered under the plan, you may receive compensation if you are hospitalized, use outpatient services, or undergo an operation in the event of illness or accidental injury.
Compensation must be claimed within two years of the accident or illness.

2.National Health Insurance (NHI)

According to the regulation, 6 months after receiving their ARCs, foreign students must join the National Health Insurance scheme. Each semester extends for 6 months (Sep – Feb and Mar – Aug). NHI costs NT $749 per month. Thus, for the second semester, you will pay NTD4,494 (749*6 months) in NHI premiums. For international students, this cost will form part of the miscellaneous fees that you pay before the start of each semester.
1)Applying for Coveragece receiving their ARCs must apply for coverage under NHI. By doing this, go to the CHU International Office at I211 and bring the following documents with you: (1) One photos (2) Photocopies of both sides of your ARC(3)Photocopies of the pages with the stamps while entering and leaving Taiwan on your passport
2)Canceling Coverage
Graduates or people who are under the circumstances of deferring studies, discontinuing studies, or even being suspended from studying at CHU, are suggested to go to International Office. Please go to the International Office to cancel your NHI coverage, return your NHI card, and receive refunds for payment of NHI premiums.
3)Suspending Coverage
If you graduate, defer studies, or discontinue studies, please go to the International Office to suspend your NHI coverage. Foreign students who plan on going abroad for over 6 months should also suspend their NHI coverage for the amount of time which they intend to stay abroad. During this time, you will not be required to pay premiums. However, please note that if you return to Taiwan and continue studies before 6 months expire, you will be required to pay the monthly premiums back for the amount of time you were abroad.
4)Resuming Coverage
To resume coverage after deferring or discontinuing studies, go to the International Office and apply for resumption of NHI coverage.

  1. What To Do if You Lose Your Card 
If you lose your NHI card, you can apply for a new one at any post office branch or at the Bureau of National Health Insurance for a fee of NT $200.


3.Medical Services

For the first semester in the first year, International Office will assist you to join the Insurance Program.
After successfully applying for coverage under NHI, you will receive a NHI card. This card can be used at the vast majority of hospitals and medical clinics around Taiwan to receive a significant discount on the price of medical fees.

XI.Other Information    

1.Work Permit     

Before you work in Taiwan, you must first apply for a work permit. If you want to apply it, please go to Office of International and Cross-Straits Affairs for the application Form.
*Foreign students are not allowed to work without work permit.
1)Required Documents and Fees 
  1. Application form 
  2. Photocopies of both sides of your Student ID Card  
  3. Photocopies of your passport and both sides of your ARC 
  4. CHU Student Consent Form for Work Permit Application 
  1. Original receipt of payment from the post office at which the application fees (NT
$100) were transferred.
  1. The status of international students in Taiwan should be in accordance with the regulations of Ministry of Education.
  2. The applicants can apply for the student work permit only if they have spent one semester studying degree courses or a one-year language course in Taiwan.
  3. The period validity of a work permit is six months at most.
  4. For applications made in the first semester, the work permit is valid until March 30th of the next semester; for applications made in the second semester, the work permit is valid until September 30th of the same year.
  5. The maximum work hours allowed are 20 hours per week, except during summer and winter vacation.
  6. Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training has the right to revoke the permit if the applicants do not follow the regulations.
  7. According to Employment Services Act, foreigners who work without a work permit will be fined from NT 30,000 to NT150, 000.
  8. Students should return the work permit (if valid) to the Office of International and Cross-Straits Office if they are suspended or discontinue their schooling.

2.To open a bank account

Please bring the documents to the Post Office in Administration Building (3F).
  1. Passport and a copy
  2. Student Card and a copy
  3. ARC Card and a copy
  4. A personal Stamp

3.Living Spending     

The cost of living is about NTD 6,000 per month, but it depends on each student’s spending habits.

Q: What is the difference between "visa validity" and "duration of stay"?
A: Visa validity means the period of time during which the visa holder can enter the ROC with the valid visa (indicated as follows: valid until or enter before).
Duration of stay means the period of time for which the visa holder can stay in Taiwan. ROC Embassies, Consulates and Missions usually grant visitor visas with durations of stay of 14 days, 30 days, 60 days or 90 days, which start from the second day of the visitors' arrival in Taiwan. There is no relationship between visa validity and duration of stay.
Q: What are the basic documents required for visa application?
A: Requirements may differ slightly from post to post and from case to case but the basic documents required to apply for ROC visas include:
Requirements of VISA application:
  1. Passport (original and one copy) valid for at least six months
  2. Completed application Form
  3. Chung Hua University’s Admission Letter (original and one copy)
  4. Original diploma of highest degree or graduation certificate (in Chinese or English), must verified by ROC (Taiwan) missions (Embassies or Representative Offices) at your country.
  5. Original transcript (with official stamp), must verified by ROC (Taiwan) missions (Embassies or Representative Offices) at your country.
  6. Financial statement (with official stamp, must be verified by ROC (Taiwan) missions (Embassies or Representative Offices) at your country.
  1. Two 2-inch head & shoulder photos in color with white background (taken within the last six months)
  2. Application fee (Please confirm with your country’s ROC (Taiwan) missions (Embassies or Representative Offices)
  3. Others ( Documents may be requested)
Q: What procedures should foreigners holding resident visas follow in Taiwan?
A: Within 15 days of receiving RESIDENT VISA in Taiwan, you are required to apply for an ALIEN RESIDENT CERTIFICATE(ARC) and re-entry permit at the local Immigration Office.
** Note: Re-entry permit to R.O.C (a sticker pasted in the passport) in order for you to travel away from Taiwan and re-enter Taiwan.
Q: What documents are needed to apply for resident visas to study Chinese? A: A full-time student of Chinese language school who entered Taiwan on a visitor visa may apply to change the visitor visa to a resident visa by submitting the following documents:
  1. A set of required documents.
  2. A certificate of enrollment issued by a Chinese language school affiliated to any of the universities accredited by the Ministry of Education or Chien Tan Overseas Chinese Youth Language Study Center (applicable for foreign students of Chinese ancestry only);
  3. A certificate issued by any of the above mentioned accredited Chinese language schools certifying the applicant's completion of four months of study;
  4. A registration proof for the next term which must last for at least three months;
  5. A record of attendance certifying that the applicant is a full-time student with minimum two hours of class a day from Monday to Friday;
  6. A proof of sufficient funds to support the applicant's tuition and living expenses during the period of the applicant's intended study in Taiwan.
  7. A health certificate
Q: What documents do foreign students need when they receive scholarships from the Ministry of Education and wish to apply for resident visas?
A: The applicant is required to submit
  1. One original copy of the official scholarship award letter from the Ministry ofEducation
  2. A photocopy of the applicant’s student
Q: Can a landing visa be changed to a resident visa?
A: The law prohibits a landing visa be changed to a resident visa. If a visitor enters Taiwan under the visa-exempt program or on a landing visa, the visitor cannot extend his stay except in very unusual circumstances, and the visitor cannot change to resident status while in Taiwan.
Q: How to apply for the extension of visitor visa?
A: Regulated by Immigration Law and Regulations Governing Alien Visits, Residence and Permanent Residence.
Required Documents:
*An Application Form
*The supporting documents clarifying the purpose of the extension (such as the work permit issued by the relevant authorities, a household registration, enrollment certificate, documents from hospital).
*The original passport (with an extendable visitor visa).
  1. Processing Period: Application will be processedwhile-you-wait.
  2. Application Authorities: Foreign Affairs Division ofTaipei/Kaohsiung
  3. Municipal Police Department; Foreign Affairs Division of County/City Police Bureau, Taiwan Province; Administration Division of Kinmen/Lienchiang, County Police Bureau, FukienProvince.
  4. Application Management: Directly managed at thecounter.
  5. Application way: Application shall be filed in person or entrusted to a representative.
  6. Notes forApplication:
*Alien visitors who enter the ROC with a visa exemption may not apply for extension.
*Aliens with a visitor visa, which stated “No Extension Will Be Granted” issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, may not apply for extension.
*Each extension must not exceed the original duration granted on the visitor visas and it cannot be extended over six months or 180 days.